Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Better than I thought...

I started going through the investigation reports for each of the cases and I have found that it is not as much work as I had thought. There are fewer pages than the autopsy reports and I don't have to redact as much information. It looks as though I will be done sooner than I had imagined. Today, I also "worked" in the evidence room. While I am not licensed, I watched Rosie, the woman who works in the evidence room, prepare some blood and urine samples to send away to NMS, or the National Medical Service. The state crime lab can only do so much in terms of detecting narcotics in samples of tissue. People tend to abuse prescription drugs these days and so with a few cases these need to be detected by NMS. Samples are sent to NMS, which sends back a detailed report of what, if any, drugs are found. Cool stuff. Even cooler is the fact that they receive thousands of samples every day. That's a lot of blood to test...

Hopefully in the next few days, I will finish my main project and learn even more about the system of the Medical Examiner's office. Later.

Hours: 11:10 - 2:20
Total: 3 hours 10 minutes

No comments: